The story goes that in the fall of 1904 a couple of seniors were looking in the window of the tailors, Taylor Steffen Company of 306 Main St., in Lafayette. In the window was a bolt of yellow corduroy fabric which they decided to have made into trousers. Sporting them on campus they quickly became the fashion statement for the senior class. Up to 1912, the Taylor Steffen Company placed an advertisement in the Debris and called itself the "Tailor Merchants for the Students." The Lise Building occupies at the location of the business today.
Cords worn by Gary J. Glazer, Class of 1967.
Photo by Patrick Whalen