interdisciplinary research librarian & associate professor of library science
Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
Purdue University Libraries
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN, USA 47907
firstname.lastname@example.org | ORCID
Selected Papers and Presentations
- Coates, H., Konkiel, S. & Witt, M. (2013). Data Services: Making It Happen [presentation]. ACRL 2013, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Witt, M. & Gaur, RC. (2013, March 25). International Workshop on Data Curation in the University: Libraries, Research, and Learning [chaired workshop]. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Witt, M. (2013). Databib: Cataloging the World's Data Repositories [invited paper]. CALIBER 2013, Gandhinagar, India. Also invited for 11th Library Lecture Series, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Kaeralis, S., Kozbial, A., Morley, D., Williams, SC. & Witt, M. (2012). Meeting the Challenge of Data-Management Support in Academic Libraries [presentation]. EDUCAUSE 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Uhlir, P.E. (ed.) (2012). For Attribution -- Developing Data Attribution and Citation Practices and Standards: Summary of an International Workshop [report]. National Academies Press.
- Kroll, M., Minor, D., Reilly, B. & Witt, M. (2012). ISO 16363: Trustworthy Digital Repository Certification in Practice [conference paper]. 7th International Conference on Open Repositories, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Witt, M. (2012). Databib: An Online Bibliography of Research Data Repositories [invited presentation]. ACRL Digtial Curation Interest Group, ALA Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA.
- Witt, M. & Yu, Y. (2012). Refactoring HUBzero for Linked Data [conference paper]. ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Washington, DC. DOI:10.1145/2232817.2232845.
- Witt, M. (2012). Curation Service Models: Purdue University Research Repository (PURR) [presentation]. ASIS&T Research Data Access & Preservation Summit, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Witt, M. (2012). Co-designing, Co-developing, and Co-implementing an Institutional Data Repository Service [article]. Journal of Library Administration, 52(2). DOI:10.1080/01930826.2012.655607.
- Witt, M. (2011). Roles for Librarians in Data Citation [presentation]. Developing Data Attribution and Citation Practices and Standards: An International Symposium, National Academy of Sciences, Berkeley, California.
- Gore, E. & Witt, M. (2011). The Open Parks Grid [presentation]. ASCLA-ICAN Collaborative Digitization Group, American Library Association 2011 Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Collie, W.A. & Witt, M. (2011). A Practice and Value Proposal for Doctoral Dissertation Data Curation [article]. International Journal of Digital Curation, 6(2). Also presented at the 6th International Digital Curation Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Witt, M. & Sivaram, A. (2011). Exposing HUB Objects for Aggregation Using OAI-ORE and Linked Data [presentation]. HUBbub 2011: The 2nd HUBzero Workshop, IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Newton, M.P., Mooney, H., & Witt, M. (2010). A Description of Data Citation Instructions in Style Guides [poster]. The 6th International Digital Curation Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Cragin, M.H., Palmer, C.L., Carlson, J.R., & Witt, M. (2010). Data Sharing, Small Science, and Institutional Repositories [article]. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 368(1926).
- Singh, SK., Witt, M., & Salo, D. (2010). A Comparative Analysis of Institutional Repository Software [conference paper]. The 5th International Conference on Open Repositories, Madrid, Spain.
- Witt, M. & Cruse, P. (2010). DataCite: An International Initiative to Facilitate the Citation of Research Data [poster]. ALA Annual Conference, General Poster Session and ACRL STS Poster Session, Washington, D.C.
- Hong, D., Si, L., Bracke, P., Witt, M., & Juchinski, T. (2010). A Joint Probabilistic Classification Model for Resource Selection [conference paper]. Proceedings of the 33rd Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval (SIGIR) of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Witt, M. (2010). Object Reuse and Exchange (OAI-ORE) [tech report]. ALA Techsource, Library Technology Reports, 46(4). Also excerpted as an [article] in American Libraries, 41(6&7).
- Carlson, JR. & Witt, M. (2010). Learning By Doing: Cases of Librarians Working With Faculty Research Data for the First Time [presentation]. IASSIST 2010, Ithaca, New York.
- Witt, M., Carlson, J.R., Cragin, M.H., & Brandt, D.S. (2009). Constructing Data Curation Profiles [article]. International Journal of Digital Curation, 4(3). Also presented at the 5th International Digital Curation Conference, London, UK.
- Riehle, C.F. & Witt, M. (2009). Librarians in the Hall: Instructional Outreach in Campus Residences [article] College & Undergraduate Libraries, 16(2-3).
- Witt, M. (2009). Electronic Dissertation Mashups Using SRU [book chapter] Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data. Ed. by Nicole C. Engard. New York: Information Today, Inc.
- Witt, M. (2009, May 18). Eliciting Faculty Requirements for Research Data Repositories [plenary presentation]. 4th International Conference on Open Repositories. Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Witt, M. (2009). Institutional Repositories and Research Data Curation in a Distributed Environment [article]. Library Trends, 57(2).
- Brandt, D.S., Carlson, J., Cragin, M., Heidorn, B., Shreeves, S., Palmer, C., & Witt, M. (2008, December 2). Investigating Data Curation Profiles Across Multiple Research Disciplines [poster]. 4th International Digital Curation Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Bracke, MS., Fouke, B., Joseph, L, Wander, M., Wilson, S. & Witt, M. (2008, June 3). Librarians and Scientists Working Together for Data Curation [invited panel]. Summer Institute on Data Curation, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Bracke, MS., Brouder, S., & Witt, M. (2008, May 12). Purdue Scientist/Librarian Collaborations [invited panel]. Librarians & e-Science: Focusing Towards 20/20, Committee on Institutional Cooperation, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Bracke, MS. & Witt, M. (2008, April 29). Partnering with Agronomy Faculty to Create a Framework for Data Sharing [poster]. United States Agricultural Information Network (USAIN) annual conference, Wooster, Ohio.
- Witt, M. & Choudhury, GS. (2008, February 25). Coping with the Data Deluge [invited panel]. The Chronicle of Higher Education Technology Forum, Tampa, Florida.
- Witt, M. & Carlson, J. (2007, December 13). Conducting a Data Interview [poster]. 3rd International Digital Curation Conference, Washington D.C.
- Witt, M., Razum, M., Boulderstone, R., & Schaeffer, J. (2007, November 16). eResearch Archiving [invited panel]. Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group, Paris, France.
- Witt, M. & Choudhury, GS. (2007, October 25). A Role for Librarians in Curating Scientific Data [presentation]. EDUCAUSE 2007, Seattle, Washington.
- Bracke, MS. & Witt, M. (2007, June 25). A Watershed Moment: Preserving & Improving Access to Water Quality Data [poster]. ACRL Science and Technology Section program reception, ALA Annual Conference. Washington, D.C.
- Witt, M. (2007, June 2). Creating and Managing Institutional Data Repositories [workshop]. Special Libraries Association 2007. Denver, Colorado.
- Witt, M. (2007). Providing an OAI-PMH Interface to the Storage Resource Broker with OAISRB [article]. International Journal on Digital Libraries, 7(1).
- Brandt, DS., Mullins, J., & Witt, M. (2006). Enabling Interaction and Quality in a Distributed Data DRIS [conference paper]. Enabling Interaction and Quality: Beyond the Hanseatic League, 8th International Conference on Current Research Information Systems (pp. 55-62). The Netherlands: Leuven University Press.
- Brandt, DS. & Witt, M. (2005, December 5). Research Data and the Distributed Institutional Repository [presentation]. Fall 2005 Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Task Force Meeting. Phoenix, Arizona.
Selected Sponsored Research
- Fostering Data-Driven Scientific Collaboration with India sponsored by the Purdue University Office of Engagement with Jawaharlal Nehru University. (2012).
- Databib sponsored by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) with Penn State University Libraries. (2011).
- Open Parks Grid sponsored by IMLS with Clemson University (lead), the National Parks Service, and the state parks of Georgia, North and South Carolina. (2010).
- Leveraging Relational Information in the HUBs Using Linked Data sponsored by the Network for Computational Nanotechnology, National Science Foundation. (2009).
- Indiana Directory of University Research Expertise (INDURE) sponsored by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation. (2008).
- Investigate and Implement Persistence for HUB Resources sponsored by the Network for Computational Nanotechnology, National Science Foundation. (2008).
- Investigating Data Curation Profiles Across Multiple Research Domains sponsored by IMLS with the University of Illinois. (2007).
- Seed Grant for the Ingest, Preservation, and Access for Water Quality Datasets in an Institutional Repository sponsored by The Center for the Environment at Discovery Park, Purdue University. (2007).
- Development of an OAI-PMH Interface for nanoHUB.org sponsored by the Network for Computational Nanotechnology, National Science Foundation. (2007).
Awards and Certifications
- ACRL STS Innovation in Science and Technology Award. (2013). Distributed Data Curation Center for the Data Curation Profile Toolkit.
- Fulbright Scholar at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina. The Council for the International Exchange of Scholars and the Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt. (2011).
- Purdue Research Foundation International Travel Grant. (2009, 2010, & 2012).
- Emerging Leader, American Library Association. (2008).
- Frederick L. Hovde Outstanding Faculty Fellow, Purdue University. (2008).
- Dean's Award, Purdue University Libraries. (2008).
- Master of Library Science, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University-Indianapolis. (2006).
- Sun Certified Systems Administrator. (2003).
- Endeavor Information Systems Voyager 300, 400, 500 Level Certifications. (2002-2003).
- IBM AIX 4.3 Certified System Specialist. (2001).
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. (2000).
- American Library Association (ALA)
- ALA Annual Conference Poster Session Committee. 2009-2012.
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- ACRL Science and Technology Section. 2009-present.
- Guide to Reference. Editor, Dissertations. 2009-2011.
- Library Information Technology Association (LITA)
- Information Technology and Libraries. Editorial Board. 2010-present.
- LITA 2009 National Forum Planning Committee.
- LITA 2010 National Forum Planning Committee.
- LITA Online Programming Task Force. 2009-2010.
- LITA/OCLC Kilgour Award Committee. 2009. Chair, 2010. 2011.
- LITA/Library Hi-Tech Award Committee. Chair, 2013.
- Library Research Roundtable. 2006-present.
- CODATA (International Council for Science, Committee on Data for Science and Technology)
- Data Citation Standards and Practices Task Group. 2013-2015.
- Annual Conference Adjunct Program Committee. Information Access, Digital Content, and Libraries Track. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012.
- IEEE Computer Society
- Technical Committee on Digital Libraries. 2006-present.
- IEEE/ACM Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) Program Committee. 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Technical Committee on Massive Storage Systems. 2008-present.
- Indiana Online Users Group (IOLUG)
- IOLUG Board of Directors. 2009-2011.
- IOLUG Program Committee. 2008-2010.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- National Leadership Grant Review Panel. Research and Demonstration. 2010.
- International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST)
- Special Interest Group on Data Citation. Co-chair. 2010-2012.
- International Conference on Open Repositories
- Program Review Committee. 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Sun Microsystems Preservation and Access Special Interest Group (PASIG)
- Research Data Curation Working Group. Moderator, 2007-2009.