ATTENTION: We are currently in the process of moving to our new website located at http://www.lib.purdue.edu/.
Please make note of this and update your bookmarks accordingly. We apologize for any inconvience.
Resources for Chemistry (Alphabetical List)
[descriptions are below]
- Access Science - Online encyclopedia of science and technology. (Corresponds to the print version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology)
- Aldrich Catalog - Search the Sigma-Aldrich catalog for commonly supplied chemical compounds sold in lab quantities.
- Analytical Abstracts (1980-present) - Search across over 100 journals for the latest techniques and applications in the analytical sciences. Unique ways to search this database are through Analyte chemical name, Matrix chemical name, and Technique.
- Beilstein (see Reaxys)
- Cambridge Structural Database (WebCSD) (1923-present) - The CSD is a database of over 300,000 experimentally derived crystal structures for small molecules. The CSD indexes over 700 journals. Structures can be represented in 2D or 3D format and can be exported into Spartan for further visualization and manipulation.
- CASSI (Chemical Abstracts Serials Source Index) - CASSI is the most complete information source on scientific journals in chemistry. It lists standard abbreviations, frequency of publication, journal name changes, and other bibliographic information for over 60,000 named sources.
- Catalysts and Catalyzed Reactions (2002- ) -
Visual presentation of new developments in catalysis research. Around 200 graphical abstracts added every month, indexed by reaction and catalytic method.
- CCOHS Occupational Health and Safety Databases - This collection of databases is a tool for environmental and occupational health and safety and contains a wealth of data and information on various chemicals. This program includes MSDS, FTSS, CHEMINFO, RTECS®, Canadiana,CISILO, HSELINE, OSHLINE® with NIOSHTIC®/NIOSHTIC-2, and as well as several free resources.
- Chem Sources Online - Find chemical suppliers for both common and hard to find chemicals. You can search by chemical name, CAS RN, chemical formula, application, trade name or supplier. The database includes information on more than 250,000 chemical compounds from 8,000 chemical firms spanning 135 countries.
Abstracts (see SciFinder Scholar)
- Chemisches Zentralblatt - Chemisches Zentralblatt is a German language precursor to Chemical Abstracts/SciFinder and covers chemical and pharmaceutical literature from 1830-1969. Though the abstracts are in German, one can search CZB by chemical structure to find where a particular structure has been mentioned. CZB's coverage of early German chemistry is regarded as superior to SciFinder's and its abstracts are longer and more informative. There is only one user allowed access at a time, so be sure to log off when you have finished searching.
- ChemLibNetBase - This is a collection of over 430 chemistry and chemistry related e-books published by the CRC Press. You can search the full text and view complete e-books by chapter in PDF format. You can also browse e-books by category.
- ChemNetBase - Includes access to the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics as well as a number of other resources with physical and chemical property data, including properties for natural products and drugs. Not only can you search within the CRC Handbook, but you have access to the following sources as well: Dictionary of Commonly Cited Compounds, Dictionary of Drugs, Dictionary of Inorganic and Organometallic Compounds, Dictionary of Natural Products, Dictionary of Organic Compounds, Polymers: A Property Database , and Properties of Organic Compounds.
- ChemSpider - ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database providing access to over 26 million structures, properties and associated information via text or structure searching. ChemSpider integrates and links compounds from more than 400 data sources and also points to appropriate journal literature. It is owned by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - This resource allows searching and browsing of the numerous tables and data found in the latest print CRC handbook. Can search by full-text, by chemical substance, or by a number of chemical properties. Interactive tables allow exporting the data to Microsoft Excel. (Print versions of the Handbook can be found in the Chemistry Library.)
- Directory of Graduate Research (DGR) - DGRweb, the searchable online version of the ACS Directory of Graduate Research (DGR), is the most comprehensive source of information on chemical research and researchers at universities in the U.S. and Canada.
- e-Journals - A list of major e-journls related to Chemistry that the Purdue's Libraries provide access to.
- e-EROS: Electronic Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis - The encyclopedia offers a systematic and exhaustive coverage of reagents used in organic synthesis. It contains a database of around 70,000 reactions and around 4000 of the most frequently consulted reagents and is fully searchable by structure and substructure, reagent, reaction type, experimental conditions etc. and allows sophisticated full text searches.
- Fieser and Fieser's Reagents for Organic Synthesis - Online version of the entire 23 volume set, including an A to Z listing of many reagents cited in the synthetic literature with concise descriptions and illustrations of chemical reactions.
- General Science Full Text (1984-present; select full-text from 1994-present) - Search for articles from major journals across all science disciplines. Great place for undergraduates to begin their research.
- Gmelin (see Reaxys)
- ILO Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety - This Encyclopaedia is an authoritative source of on-line information on all aspects of the multidisciplinary field of occupational safety and health. This latest edition consists of over 1,000 articles, complemented by over 1,000 illustrations and easy-to-read tables. Thousands of references are cited. Sources are listed at the end of each chapter, along with other relevant readings.
- Inorganic Crystal Structure Database (1913-present) - The ICSD contains information on inorganic crystal structures including pure elements, minerals, metals, and intermetallic compounds, including their atomic coordinates, which have been published since 1913. It is updated twice a year, each time adding approximately 3000 new records. As of January 2008, the database contains 103,679 entries.
- International Tables for Crystallography - The series comprises of articles and tables of data relevant to crystallographic research and to applications of crystallographic methods in all sciences concerned with the structure and properties of materials. Emphasis is given to symmetry, diffraction methods and techniques of crystal structure determination, and the physical and chemical properties of crystals.International Tables for Crystallography
- J Chem Ed Web Software - Produced in collaboration with the Journal of Chemical Education, this collection includes content previously available on CD-ROM, along with newer tutorials, simulations, and videos. Many of these titles include learning objects that are useful for demonstrating various concepts for first and second year students and beyond.
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR): Science Edition (1998-present) - Presents quantifiable statistical data that helps determine the relative importance of journals in the area of science, including such data as Impact Factor, Immediacy Index, Cited Half-Life, and more.
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology - This Encyclopedia presents a wide scope of articles on chemical substances—including their properties, manufacturing, and uses. It also focuses on industrial processes and unit operations in chemical engineering, as well as covering fundamentals and scientific subjects related to the field. Additionally, environmental and health issues concerning chemical technology are also addressed.
- Knovel - Knovel provides numerical and tabular data from leading engineering and science handbooks and resources. Some tables and graphs are interactive.
- Methods in Organic Synthesis (2000- ) -
Graphical abstracts of the most important current developments and new synthetic advances, including reaction schemes. Entries are indexed by Reaction, Reactant and Reagent.
- Merck Index - Descriptive information on 11,000+ chemicals, drugs (human and veterinary), and biologicals. Each entry lists synonyms for drug names (trade, chemical, generic, and research codes), CAS Registry Numbers, physical data, patent information, uses, toxicity, and bibliographic citations on synthesis, pharmacology, and toxicology.
- Microelectronics Packaging Materials Database (MPMD) - Contains data and information on the thermal, mechanical, electrical, and physical properties of materials used in the construction of electronic components and assemblies. The MPMD contains properties of over 825 materials with approximately 16,803 data curves. It uses pull-down menus to browse by material and property. To start searching, click on Login. Choose the application: MPMD.
- Natural Product Updates (2000- ) -
Alerting natural product scientists to the latest developments. The abstracts include structure diagrams, trivial and taxonomic names, and physical and biological properties.
- NIST / TRC Web Thermo Tables - Provides online access to the"TRC Thermodynamic Tables - Hydrocarbons" and "TRC Thermodynamic Tables - Non-Hydrocarbons". Almost 900,000 data points for over 7,700 compounds are provided, including thermodynamic data such as critical properties, heat capacities, vapor pressures and more.
- NIST / WebBook - contains spectra, ion energetics, and thermophysical and thermochemical data on thousands of compounds. You can search for data on specific compounds based on name, chemical formula, CAS registry number, molecular weight, chemical structure, or selected ion energetics and spectral properties.
Syntheses (1921-present) [requires a free ChemDraw plugin] - Contains detailed, reliable, and carefully checked procedures for the synthesis of organic compounds. Some procedures describe practical methods for the preparation of specific compounds of interest, while other procedures illustrate important synthetic methods with general utility. Each procedure is written in considerably more detail as compared to typical experimental procedures in other journals, and each reaction and all characterization data has been carefully "checked" for reproducibility in the laboratory of a member of the Board of Editors.
- Purdue University Libraries Catalog - Search for books, journals, and other materials held within the Libraries on the Purdue West Lafayette Campus.
- Reaxys (Beilstein/Gmelin/Chemical Patents) - Reaxys combines the Beilstein (organic chem), Gmelin (inorganic chem), and Chemical Patents databases into one search interface. Users can search by structure, substructure, reaction, text, and property data. Reaxys indexes experimental reaction data and chemical/physical properties for over 10 million compounds and 22 million reactions. Information originates from around 3800 journals and patents from various patent offices.
- Science Citation Index (see Web
- Science of Synthesis (Houben-Weyl) -
Science of Synthesis is the 5th edition of the Houben-Weyl Methods in Organic Chemistry reference book series. It is a highly organized and authoritative collection of reviews on organic and organometallic synthetic methods. Reviews contain full experimental procedures and background information. Its purpose is to provide a direct path through the mass of primary literature to the pertinent data on a comprehensive range of organic reactions. The base set (2000 to present) contains information on over 275,000 reactions and 30,000 experimental procedures for 2,700 different types of compounds. The content is full-text, structure, and reaction searchable.
The Houben-Weyl Electronic Backfile (1909 to 2003) is also included and provides immediate access to 146,000 product specific experimental procedures, 580,000 structures, and 700,000 references in all fields of synthetic organic chemistry - dating back to the early 1800s. [Note: most of this backfile is in German.]
- SciFinder Scholar (1907-present) - SciFinder Scholar is a means of accessing the Chemical Abstracts database using a powerful and intuitive search engine to easily find references to articles and patents. Search for chemical data using a molecular formula, chemical name, chemical structure, reaction components, author name, or topic of interest.
- Sigma-Aldrich Catalog - Search the Sigma-Aldrich catalog for commonly supplied chemical compounds sold in lab quantities.
- SPRESIweb (1974-2009) [Choose IP Login] - Allows structure, chemical reaction,
property, and text searching from over 1350 journals, conferences, and patents. SPRESIweb provides access to 6.1
million molecules and 3.85 million reactions from 636,000
references. SPRESIweb also has a useful Synthesis Tree Search (STS) feature that allows you to build a synthesis pathway.
- Thermophysical Properties of Matter Database (TPMD) - The Thermophysical Properties of Matter Database (TPMD), contains thermophysical properties of over 5,000 materials with approximately 50,000 data curves.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry - Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is a full-text, state-of-the-art reference work detailing the science and technology in all areas of industrial chemistry. Fully international in scope and coverage and published in the English language, the work has been compiled under the supervision of a renowned global Editorial Advisory Board.
- Web of Science (1900-present) - Features include cited reference searching, access to records related to a particular article, and number of times an article has been cited.