ATTENTION: We are currently in the process of moving to our new website located at http://www.lib.purdue.edu/.
Please make note of this and update your bookmarks accordingly. We apologize for any inconvience.
the Mellon Library of Chemistry
Melvin Guy Mellon arrived in September 1919 to begin his
career at Purdue. He was
one of two
analytical chemists on the Purdue Chemistry faculty, which
totaled six at the time. The departmental library collection
at this time
was quite small. Professor Mellon, being especially interested
in chemical libraries, began efforts to add to the collection
in order to begin his course in chemical literature. Once every
weeks, he spent time in the library to put books back into
place and lock the cabinets at closing time, as there was no
Professor Mellon continued to teach the course on chemical
literature at Purdue even after his retirement and provided guest
in the course until 1991.
Prof. M. G. Mellon
recognition of Professor Mellon's contributions to the Department
and to the field of chemical literature the chemistry library
was dedicated as
the M. G. Mellon Library of Chemistry in 1973. The present
library is now much larger than its original single room. Now
grown in all directions. At present, the M. G. Mellon Library
spans six rooms and three floors.
The current head of the library is Prof. Jeremy R. Garritano, Chemical Information Specialist and Associate Professor of Library Science.
More information about Professor Mellon.
Jeremy R. Garritano